Tuesday 10 November 2015

Oh She Glows tex-mex casserole (one pot wonder)

For my birthday, my lovely aunties got me the blogger 'Oh She Glows' cookbook (aka blogger Angela Liddon). It is a vegan cookbook, focusing on real, wholefood ingredients. Sounds right up my street. 


tex mex casserole heaven!


My latest attempt at the recipe is her “crowd pleasing tex-mex casserole” which I must admit I have slightly amended and also de-veganed! Sorry. I added left over chicken and added a little helping of grated cheese on top! But it tastes just as great meat-free!




Ingredients:

For the spicy blend (don’t worry, it isn’t spicy)
1 tbsp of chilli powder (I used mild)
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
¼ cayenne pepper
Pinch of sea salt


spice without the spiciness 


For the casserole
Olive oil
1 red onion, diced
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 orange pepper
1 green pepper
Pinch of sea salt
1 cup of corn
1 carton/tin of passata
½ cup tomato puree
½ bag spinach
1 can beans (I used kidney beans)

Serves 4-6
Prep time = 30 minutes
Cooking time = 20 minutes


First off, make the tex-ex spicy blend. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine

Preheat the oven to 190*C and oil up a large casserole dish

In a large wok, heat the olive oil over a medium heat... add the onion, garlic and pepper and sauté for 7 to 8 minutes until softened – don’t forget to season!!!

Stir in the tex-mex spice blend, corn, passata, spinach and beans – Oh She Glows adds in rice at this stage but I skipped the carbs that evening and added the chicken instead. Sauté for a few more minutes

Pour this tasty mixture into the casserole dish and sprinkle on some cheese (obviously go for vegan cheese if you’re a vegan) – pop in the oven for about 20 minutes, the cheese will go a golden brown and the sauce will bubble at the sides





To serve, feel free to add toppings – spring onion, extra cheese and a generous dollop of natural yoghurt on top works well!!!




I say feel free to add more vegetables to this one-pot dish... I reckon more variety of beans and maybe some butternut squash to mix it up! This tastes great for cold leftovers too, so why not box the leftovers up and take them to lunch the next day!

Enjoy X x X



ps, sorry for the mishap on the formatting!

No comments:

Post a Comment