Friday 24 October 2014

Maxwell's bar and grill, Covent Garden, London

Last weekend, before heading to the Prince Edward Theatre to see Miss Saigon (read my blog entry about this musical here), we needed somewhere in Central London to eat. Trying to think what was around Leicester Square, we decided to head 5 minutes further to Covent Garden, as I find that everywhere around there is just the same old same chain (if anyone does have any suggestions for cool eateries then let me know).

classic - burger and fries


I have been to Maxwell’s in Covent Garden once before but only for some pre-event cocktails with the girls. Although being a food perv, I had a good look around at what was on offer and it looked pretty good, so I decide to take the in-laws there.



the place was packed!


Maxwell’s is a large American style grill, serving up big hearty plates of burgers, grills and platters. The vibe is relaxed and friendly, filled with chatting families and groups of friends laughing away. 

The décor is kind of like an American diner (think wooden seats and booths) and dark panelling on the wall. The service was ten out of ten! They waitresses and waiters were all so friendly and even though rushed off their feet, made the effort to accommodate you and check that you were happy with the meal.



my dinner! 


plenty to keep everyone happy! 

I was about as decisive as a kid deciding what toy to play with at Xmas so ended up having a sharing starter platter but as my main (to myself) – loaded potato skins, crab cakes, prawns and chilli squid – washed down with the sweetest cocktail “treacle tart”. The rest of the group opted for the burger, fries and coleslaw which having scored a sneaky bite, was pretty good!


possibly the sweetest cocktail I have ever had! 


crispy chicken strips 


Not having room for pudding but enough to accommodate something small and sweet, I finished my meal with an oreo cookie milkshake. Thick, creamy and delicious, this was devoured in about 2 minutes!!!!


the inlaws went for apple pie 

whilst I opted for a milk shake! 


If you are looking for decent portions, American comfort food and friendly service then this place will suit your needs. This no-fancy-pants restaurant is friendly, relaxed and prices are reasonable plus the service is quick so ideal for a pre-theatre meal.

Make sure you book though. We were grateful we had as we arrived at 4.30pm on a Saturday and the place was packed! 

X x X

No comments:

Post a Comment