Sunday 5 October 2014

Marshmallow fluff and chocolate pie

Approximately 18 months ago, I found a recipe on the blog milk bubble tea for a marshmallow fluff and chocolate pie. The recipe and pictures looked amazing but I couldn’t make it straight away as I has no marshmallow fluff, surprisingly. 

What is marshmallow fluff? It’s a sweet, sticky, melted marshmallow like gloop that’ll rot your teeth but is so worth it. I found my jar in one of those retro sweetie shops that are ridiculously over priced but apparently it is purchasable in large ASDA stores.


crunchy on the outside and gooey in the middle 


As a treat cos the boy was back for a bit from deployment, I finally got round to making this delight. It had been on the to-try list for so long, the marshmallow fluff had actually expired about six months ago, but being a big believer of ‘what wont kill you makes your stronger’ plus an inclining that sell by dates are the manufacturers way to sell more, I used it anyway.
Results???


wonderfully sweet! 


...Well we didn’t get food poising from the marshmallow fluff (think it is also right to add that I used baking powder that was two years out of date too) and this is the probably most sugary and incredible tasting dessert I have ever made. I beg you to try this recipe!!!



wrestling with the fluff! 

Its also a really simple recipe to make, so even if you’re not the next Nigella, you’ll probably still wow with this.


Ingredients
Approx 9 digestive biscuits (I used chocolate digestives)
1 cup of plain flour
¾ cup of white sugar
175g cup unsalted butter
1 egg
1tbsp of (not out of date) baking powder
Tub of marshmallow fluff
1 large bar of galaxy choclate



Pre heat the oven to 180* and wipe a little butter around a baking dish or tart tin to stop your pie from sticking when cooking

In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugar and egg

In a food processor, or by hand, bash the biscuits up to form breadcrumbs. You need a cup full


you want fine crumbs 

Add the biscuit crumbs to the butter cream mixture, along with the flour, baking powder and mix together

Use half of this pie crust mixture to line the bottom of the tart tin. Press down to form an even crust

Spread the marshmallow fluff over the crust. This is where I need to warn you… this stuff is ridiculously sticky. I got it all over my fingers, around my gob where I'd licked the spoon after, got it stuck to the work surfaces and even a little in my hair! It is so hard to spread too!


making a huge mess but loving it! 

Once you’ve successfully fought the fluff, break up the chocolate bar and add he pieces on top of the fluff



no pattern required - place the chocolate anywhere! 

Use the other half of the pie crust mixture to top the pie. It’ll be quite hard to spread, so I flattened the mixture on my palms and placed it on to like a lid

Pop it in the oven for 20-22 minutes until a light golden brown colour 


Having never made this before, I was a little unsure of the cooking time, 20 minutes didn’t seem enough as it looked a little light on colour. I left mine on for about 25 minutes in the end but this was too long if I’m being fussy. I discovered that it darkened up once it was cooling, so 20 minutes is right.

enjoyable hot or cold! 

You can serve this whilst still warn and gooey but it also tastes just amazing cold. This is one sugary and calorific treat but oh so worth it!!! The pie crust is crunchy and sweet and the inside is gooey and chewy. What an amazing combo. I don’t like milk, but can imagine this served warm with a cool glass of milk is what big kid’s dreams are made of



X x X

No comments:

Post a Comment