Tuesday 6 May 2014

Quinoa porridge - tasty breakfast option

I love a good breakfast or brunch, and no time have I made the most of this than whilst I was on my trip to the amazing South Africa. Pretty much most hotels we stayed in laid out a breakfast feast of cold meats, cheese, pastries, juices, savoury nibbles, breads plus all the cooked breakfasts you need from a fry up to eggs Benedict.

But now I am back home, the fun has to stop. Firstly I don’t have time to knock this up in the morning and secondly, I was eating so much, by the end of the three weeks, I had actually had enough of pancakes and pastries! Shock horror.


fresh quinoa porridge


So now I am back to cooking nutritious, fuelling yet tasty breakfasts for the morning rush! One great recipe I love for breakfast, is quinoa porridge.



This recipe is too easy to make! It does require a bit of time (about 30 -40 minutes) but you can leave it to cook whilst you are getting ready for work.

All you need is 1 cup of quinoa and two cups of soya milk (or any other form of milk), which does about 3-4 servings. I made a batch this morning - simply put the rest in an airtight container and it'll happily last a few days! 



simple ingredients, tasty mix


In a saucepan, add the quinoa and milk and bring to the boil

Once boiled, turn the heat down as low as possible and simmer for about 10 minutes until pretty much all the milk has gone

Turn the heat off but leave the pan on the hob, place a lid on the saucepan and leave for up to 20 minutes or so, until all the milk has been soaked in by the quinoa, so that it isn’t too wet.


healthy alternative to chocolate chips!! 

I served mine with sliced banana and natural (soya) yoghurt and a little drizzle of agave nectar.

Whilst the porridge is cooking, you can also add a bit of flavour! I added a handful of cocoa nibs but what about adding a cinnamon stick or drop of vanilla essence or even some grated zest?!


X x X




No comments:

Post a Comment