Friday 7 February 2014

Chunky milk and white chocolate chewy cookies - Millie's cookies style

I love baking, with cupcakes being a personal fav, but if you take a look at the “Sweet Treat Recipes” section of my blog you will notice that I do cupcakes, tarts and the odd tray bakes but there is a distinct lack of cookies and biscuits.


cookies packed up and ready to be taken to work

About 18 months ago, I attempted a “fail safe” recipe from good foods (which usually help me turn into a semi decent cook), which for some reason made my cookies come out tasting of salmon!!! 

Seriously. I don’t know why and I don’t know how but it is something I have been ridiculed with since and haven’t baked another cookie since.


A week ago my house mate Charlie made some chocolate chip cookies that were quite frankly, delicious, I couldn't stop eating them! So naturally I had to get the recipe from her and have a go myself. At the weekend, ready to overcome my fear of baking cookies I got out my pinny and set to work.


a yeti cooking up a treat in the kitchen 
chunky milk chocolate 

Result… two batches of totally delicious cookies! My first batch was milk chocolate, followed by a white chocolate batch. Both without a hint of any fish taste in any of them! Success. 
here's how...


Ingredients
125 grams of butter, softened
100 grams of light brown soft sugar
125 grams of caster sugar
225 grams of self raising flour
½ teaspoon of salt
1 beaten egg
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence/extract
100-250 grams of milk chocolate or white chocolate


this is all you need to make these delicious bad boys 


How to make these scrumptious cookies…


First up, pre heat the oven to 180 degrees.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and both sugars - I didn’t know that light brown soft sugar was even a type of sugar until I was in the supermarket! I am not sure what the difference is but just followed the recipe to a tee!

Once creamed, add the egg and vanilla.

Next sift in the flour and salt and mix together.

For the chocolate-ness, you can use regular chocolate chips but I wanted a chunkier chocolate hit, so took to bashing up a dairy milk for the first batch and a milky bar for the second with a rolling pin for my chips.


Once bashed up, break the bar of chocolate into the cookie mixture.

Get the whole of the cookie mixture and roll into a very thick sausage (about the diameter of a mug) and slice into 12 or so cookies.

Place on greaseproof paper on a baking tray and bake for 7 -8 minutes. 



I know it doesn’t sound very long and when you take them out they will look a little anaemic, but leave them a minute or two to cool and transfer to a wire rack.



use a spoon or a whisk if you're feeling weak 

they'll expand a bit but not too much

leave to cool and they'll harden up

As the cookies set, they will harden up and look more “cooked” but remain doughy and chewy. The perfect cookie if I do say so myself! 
Mmm.

X x X 


Ps
Since then I have made some peanut butter cookies - so morish! Find the recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment